Iberia is Spain’s flagship airline and has a very valuable loyalty program called Iberia Plus.
One of the best highlights of the program is the ability to fly between the East Coast and Israel for as little as:
- 28,000 Iberia Avios in economy class.
- 55,250 Avios Iberia in business class.
For perspective, here’s what other airlines (usually) charge to fly to Israel from the US:
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
- American Airlines: 40,000 miles in economy class, 70,000 miles in business class.
- Delta: from 37,500 miles in economy class and 130,000 miles in business class on partner airlines.
- United Airlines: 42,500 miles in economy class and 75,000 miles in business class.
Admittedly, Iberia does not offer as many open award seats for these low prices compared to other airlines. But if you can plan your vacation around Iberia’s availability, you could easily save 30,000 return miles.
Let’s discover this excellent deal.
why it’s special
Here’s a look at the price of a round-trip flight from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport (TLV) in early March. As you can see, the flights will cost 110,500 Avios and $366 in taxes and fees.
However, the exact same flights would cost $4,528 in cash. That means you get over 3.76 cents worth per point, or 2.5 times the amount estimated by TPG ratings.
As you can see above, the Iberia website allows you to split your payout between cash and Avios if you want to extend your rewards. The more your payment favors cash, the more your points will be worth. For example, with the flight above, you can pay:
- 93,900 Avios, worth 4.09 cents per point.
- 55,300 Avios, worth 5.73 cents per point.
- 22,100 Avios, worth 11.28 cents per point.
Related: Use Iberia Avios to make your own low-cost business class fares to Europe
How to book this price
Step 1. Search for award flights
To search for reward flights with Iberia, you must first Sign into your account. You can then enter your desired flight dates and airports.
There are two pieces of information you need to know before starting the search:
- These super low prices are only valid for flights departing from the following East Coast cities:
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).
- New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Washington, DC.
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD).
- These prices only apply to off-peak dates. You can find here the off-peak dates of Iberia (most of the year is off peak).
Step 2. Find flights operated by Iberia
Iberia usually offers a fairly decent inventory of award flights thanks to the airline’s partnerships with British Airways, American Airlines, Royal Jordanian and other Oneworld airlines. However, you will only get the lowest price if you fly on Iberia for the whole trip. Be sure to find the routes operated by Iberia and book them.
Step 3. Select your cabin
Again, you’ll get the best value for your Avios when you book Business Class. But 28,000 Avios one-way in economy class to the Middle East is also a bargain. If you choose to travel in economy class, make sure you have selected “blue class” for all legs of your trip to get the cheapest price.
Related: Watch TPG fly all 3 Iberia cabins on the same flight
How to earn points for this prize
There are several ways to easily earn Iberia Avios points.
Perhaps the most obvious way is to open the Iberia Visa Signature® card. This card comes with a sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Avios:
- 75,000 Avios after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- 25,000 additional Avios after spending $20,000 in the first 12 months of account opening.
You can also transfer Avios from British Airways and Aer Lingus to Iberia. Each airline has its own co-branded Chase credit card with an offer similar to the Iberia Visa Signature card.
Additionally, Qatar Airways Privilege Club is a Citi ThankYou Points Transfer Partner. The program also uses Avios as loyalty currency, so if you have ThankYou points you can transfer them to Qatar and then to Iberia.
You can even transfer Qatar Airways Avios to Iberia by first transferring them to British Airways. This unlocks the ability to convert Capital One miles to Iberia Avios, as British Airways is a Capital One transfer partner. In other words, you can open the following cards to quickly accumulate Iberia Avios:
Finally, Iberia is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards (1:1) and Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1). You can earn these points by opening:
Related: How (and Why) You Should Earn Transferable Points
At the end of the line
You can fly to Israel from the United States for just 28,000 Avios Iberia in economy class and 55,250 Avios Iberia in business class. That’s a lot of distance for relatively few points.
However, you will need to fly from some East Coast cities during off-peak times. And to get the best price, you will also have to travel on flights operated by Iberia, which pass through Madrid. If that’s no big deal for you, it’s a great deal.